Search This Blog

Saturday, February 19, 2011

How to Practice Yoga at Home




Practicing yoga at home is awesome. But it can also be a little daunting. How in the world should you start? What should it include?

A few years back, a teacher told me to structure my home practice around what feels good. I think I took this a bit too literally, and would either A.) sit on my mat while I watched Cops reruns, or B.) fall asleep. In the intervening years, I’ve worked out a set of loose guidelines to make sure my home practices are beneficial and time effective. (I’ve also realized that I cannot, under any circumstances, practice in the same room as a television.)

Simply put, I have a mental checklist that I try to complete. Asanas can be roughly organized into 6 categories, so I try to work on at least one posture from each category.  This structure works for me because I can get elaborate and spend lots of time on each category, or I can keep it simple and quick.  This variety keeps my home practice interesting, and sticking to the 6 categories keeps it well-rounded.  The only things I try to keep consistent are my warm up and cool down.  Everything else is up for grabs.

Below is a rough framework of my home practice. I included a few suggestions for poses in each category, but please don’t feel limited. Have fun!

Warm Up:
At least 5 Sun Salutation A, followed by at least 5 Sun Salutation B. 

Category 1: Standing Poses
Postures like –
Warrior 1, 2, and 3
Triangle
Chair Pose
Tree
Baby Dancer
Down Dog
Extended Side Angle
Half Moon
High Lunge, and Low Lunge

Category 2: Arm Balances
Postures like –
Crow Pose
Hummingbird Pose
8 Angle Pose
Hurdler’s Pose
Fire Fly

Category 3: Forward Folds
Postures like –
Child’s Pose
Standing Forward Fold
Seated Forward Fold
Down Dog
Happy Baby

Category 4: Inversions
Postures like –
Headstand
Handstand
Forearm Stand
Plow
Shoulder Stand

Category 5 Backbends
Postures like –
Bridge
Cobra Pose
Pigeon
Bow Pose
Camel
Full Backbend (Urdva Danurasana)

Category 6: Seated & Twisting Poses
Postures like –
Cowface Pose
Logs on a Fire
Bound Angle Pose (Baddha Konasana)
Monkey Pose (Hanumanasana)
Hero Pose (Virasana)
Janu Sirsasana
Parivrtta Janu Sirsasana

Cool Down:
Postures like –
Savasana or seated meditation*


That’s it! You can condense it to a 25 minute practice, or expand it to last hours!



*I struggle with savasana at home. Mostly because I wake up snoring 45 minutes later. So when I practice at home, I swap out savasana for seated meditation. It’s never come easily to me, but I’ve found I’m more patient with myself when I’m on my own (and after I’ve worked off some physical energy).

3 comments:

  1. Agreed, love it! - Now I just want pictures with each one!! Hahaha - I am demanding, huh??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this post! I want to print it out so that I'll have some guidance when I practice on my own.

    ReplyDelete