Search This Blog

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Broga: What We Can Learn from Yoga for Dudes




Last year, one of the classes I was most excited to attend at Wanderlust was called “Yoga for Dudes.” Sure, I was nervous that I’d be the only lady yogi and screw up the guy vibe, or that the class would focus mostly on upper arm strength and I’d wither before our warm up was done. But mostly, I was just excited to see how this class would be different. I was also really hoping Adrian Grenier would be there. (Sadly, he was a no show.)

I imagined that the intensity would be high. I figured we’d spend lots of time with arm balances and inversions and core. I also distinctly remember anticipating that there would be lots of grunting.

What I found wasn’t at all what I expected. As I settled onto my mat, I noticed how quiet the outdoor space was. The dudes were nervous. A couple of them had even brought a female companion/safety blanket. When our teacher stepped into the studio, she was warm, and gentle, and inviting—not at all the intense or domineering personality I’d expected.   

The class was paced slowly, with several pauses for additional direction and demos. We experimented with arm balances, and practiced linking our breath to the movement. The instructor consistently affirmed our efforts, and the dudes started to relax. We worked on challenging upper body stretches, and took a deliciously long savasana in the sun. And suddenly, the class was over. No male displays of strength. No whiskey or beef jerky consumption. And very little grunting.

Turns out, “Yoga for Dudes” isn’t all that different from yoga for ladies. A good yoga class is a good yoga class, whether it’s focused on men or women. It’s about cultivating an environment where yogis feel encouraged and empowered to learn and grow.  

Since then, I’ve stopped trying to construct my classes to fit the gender of my students. I give everyone the same modifications, and encourage everyone to strive for the same goal. And (much to the delight of the Pilates instructors I work with) I have a steady dude crew that comes each week. 

Namaste, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment