Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Miso: The Spring Superfood




I’ve been cooking with miso fairly compulsively lately, and not just because it’s delicious. It’s also an extremely useful food. Here is a brief list of some of the benefits of fermented miso*:



What’s not to love?? In addition to all of its benefits, it’s also a really easy food to keep around. I just keep it in a ziplock container in my freezer and toss it into salad dressings, marinades, or soups when the mood strikes me. YUM.
 

Miso Marinade:

¼ cup white miso
½ cup water
1 inch ginger root, minced (I just use my microplane)
3 garlic cloves, minced (again, microplane to the rescue)
Chopped shallots if you’ve got them

I’ve used this on chicken, shrimp, calamari, and scallops—but I’m guessing it would also be awesome on tofu or pork. You can sauté , bake, or even grill. It’s AMAZING.


*While naturally fermented soy is extremely beneficial, unfermented soy, or chemically-fermented soy is another story. Make sure to read the label!

No comments:

Post a Comment